Delta Assembly Questions

Support for your Robot Army Starter Kit.

Delta Assembly Questions

Postby spetku » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:15 pm

It's that special time… Our first clutch of robot spawn has gone out into the world, ready to receive their new families and experience all the cool and innovative things they'll do together. We hope everyone has a smooth and giddy experience assembling their delta, however on the occasion that something is a little unclear in the instructions, or we just don't explain it well enough in the construction video… this is the place to have your questions answered.

Mark and I will be combing the forum regularly now that deployment has begun to make sure all of your little yellow robots get built strong and mighty as they were intended to be. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome too!

Happy making, and much <3

-Sarah
world domination is easier with robots.
spetku
Site Admin

Re: Delta Assembly Questions

Postby rho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 am

I got my kit yesterday and built it this morning in about an hour or so with various interruptions.

A couple of comments -
In Step 17, I set the gray arm on the servo at a right angle. Then when I went to Step 18 and judging from the picture in Step 19, the gray arms were a bit too high and close together at the high point, and not quite low enough at the low point. I ended up angling the gray arms a little lower to match the picture in Step 19.

The robot works quite well though one of the glow arms fell off the top ball bearing while trying the different programs. I switched that end to the "elbow" ball bearing thinking there might be less stress there, but it still occasionally falls off.

I used double-sided tape to mount the battery holder on the lower platform, and I drew the program diagrams on a piece of paper that I stuck underneath the servo close to the DIP switches for reference. Your two Robot Army stickers fit nicely on the top platform and the battery holder.

One reason I got it was to show off the delta robot concept to my daughter's FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) robotics team. [For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) was launched by Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway, to get kids into STEM.] Your robot uses servos which are similar to those in our FTC robot, and I was hoping it might spark some more ideas from our team.

Thank you both for a fun little project!
rho

Postby gordykeene » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Best. Instructions. Ever.

My robot trooper arrived earlier this week. I finally had time to assemble it this afternoon. I didn't have a single question, nor a single point of confusion. It just went together step by step. Easily. Having done a few other Kickstarter projects that arrive as a collection of parts with no clear plan, this is a very welcome change.

Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out how to order more troops.
gordykeene

Postby gunnbr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Got mine yesterday and assembled it tonight. I have to say, I'm very impressed by the quality of the kit and the instructions! Everything went smoother than I expected and as a whole was much higher quality than I expected! It took me less than an hour and a half to get it put together, even with my cat "helping".

The only comments I have on the instructions are:

* Step 1: I was unclear what the trashcan is saying. There's a slash through the bag, which makes it seem like "no something", but then it's going into the trash. Is it "don't throw it in the trash" or "do throw it in the trash"? Obviously once I looked in the bag, it became clear, but I was confused at first.

* Step 12: At this point, I had 6 screws remaining: 3 long and 3 short. I wasn't sure which to use. I went back and forth in the instructions looking for some indication of which to use where, but didn't find anything conclusive. Maybe a picture of the longer screw here with an X through it would help.

* Step 19: This picture seems out of place since we haven't installed the long yellow arms yet. I think a better picture would be the same motion but without the yellow arms in place.

* I would personally move step 22 right after step 13 because once the bag of ball bearings is open, they easily roll around. It's better to attach them right away to keep them from getting lost

Those are all very minor issues though. I am very, very impressed! Thanks for providing an example of a great kickstarter! I've seen far too many that haven't lived up to their promises.
gunnbr

Postby spetku » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Thank you for letting us know how we could improve the instructions and for your feedback on the kit! Mark and I are very glad to hear you enjoyed the project!

Again, thank you for your support, patience, and for being a part of this,

-Sarah =]
world domination is easier with robots.
spetku
Site Admin

Postby Mattyadl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Hello,
We didn't receive assembly instructions with the robot. Are they online somewhere or can you send them?
Thanks
Mattyadl

Postby igranderojo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:01 pm

I took the unassembled delta robot to the Engineering Club at the local high school where I mentor.
I had a team of three students assemble it. They followed the online instructions and videos without any adult assistance. They had it assembled and working with the installed programs within an hour.

Next step is to do a little better calibration of the movement and figure out what hacks and connectivity we can use to get the students to write their own programs for it. Need to find a way to have the technology teacher integrate it into his curriculum.

Thank you
Richard
Take Care
Richard
igranderojo

Postby maehem » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:35 pm

In the kit you should have found the Thank You card we included. On that card is the URL for the instructions.

http://www.robot-army.com/instructions
maehem
Site Admin

Postby igranderojo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Yes, we have the robot assembled.
I received from Sparkfun the cable to connect the robot to a computer.
I think it needs fresh batteries. Need to get it ready for Friday Engineering Club meeting.

Step 21 of instructions shows three screws to hold the grey arms onto the servo motor spindle. Which three screws? How long are they? What type of head? Thanks.

Looking forward to finding a student who can write a computer program to make it dance.
Take Care
Richard
igranderojo

Postby maehem » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Excellent.

As for the three screws. They are in the packet of hardware from the kit. They are silver colored and about 1/2" long (#4 x 1/2" type). They are similar to the black screws included with the servos, but those were too short for our paddle design. So we included slightly longer versions in the main hardware bag.
maehem
Site Admin

Next

Return to Robot Army Starter Kit